One of the biggest challenges in affiliate marketing is content production.
As an affiliate, it’s necessary that not only are you able to produce the best quality content that your target audience will find useful and that will help you stand out from the competition, you should do publish new content consistently.
For many people, this is can be a problem.
It’s not that easy to come up with new and fresh ideas to write about every week.
At the same time, there are countless choices to be made that making decisions would always take a great amount of time and effort.
Should you go for evergreen content or trending topics? Should you go for long-form or stick with short-form content? What keywords do you need to use? Where should you go to get inspiration for new topic ideas? How do you generate unlimited content for your blog?
These are just some of the choices that affiliates have to make as well as questions that they ask everyday when it comes to content creation.
Below, you’re going to find a list composed of unique and never-heard-before tips on how to make content production easier, simpler and more efficient.
Tip # 1 – Make your physical health a priority
You probably don’t get this advice from affiliate experts too often.
But it’s imperative that you are able to take care of your physical health.
If you are not in your best shape, your mind won’t work, and you won’t be able to produce the best kind of content that your blog needs to attract the right customers and grow into a steady source of income for you.
Here are some reminders that many tend to overlook when they’re too busy with work:
- Eat a healthy diet – When you’re caught up with so much work, it’s easy to forget about eating a healthy diet. Either you start relying on convenient foods like fast food and instant meals that will wreak havoc to your physical health and increase the risk of many ailments (heart disease, high blood pressure and so on), or you start skipping meals, which is just as bad. If you don’t maintain a healthy diet, not only will you end up getting sick, your mind won’t be nourished enough to work productively. Set aside a time in the week to prepare healthy homemade dishes. If you can’t do this, order healthy pre-made dishes which may cost just a little more than fast food but will do good things for your health (saving you more money in the long run).
- Get regular exercise – It’s also common for busy people to neglect exercise, saying that they don’t have the time or energy to get moving. But don’t become one of these people. No matter how busy your schedule is, set aside at least 30 minutes of your day to do simple but heart-pumping exercises like walking around the neighborhood or jogging in place.
- Practice proper sitting position and posture – Back ache and body pains are prevalent among people who sit all the day long. Since this is also what’s required of affiliates—working in front of the computer during most of the day—it’s not uncommon to experience these issues with your body. It’s a must to ensure that you are sitting with proper posture and that your work area is comfortable for you.
- Don’t deprive yourself of good quality sleep – Sleep is necessary to recuperate and recharge. You need good quality sleep to freshen up your mind and body. Getting eight hours of good quality sleep will help you become more productive with your content writing.
- Minimize stress levels – For many people stress has become a normal part of life. Even though minimal stress can heighten one’s alertness and help one accomplish a task, chronic stress can lead to a number of serious ailments. This is why, it’s important that you’re able to tone down your stress levels by taking regular breaks whenever needed, organizing your schedule and setting realistic deadlines for yourself and so on. It’s also easier to write good content for your affiliate blog when you’re focused and not overwhelmed with so much stress.
Tip # 2 – Set up a distraction-free work area
Speaking of focus, writing requires great concentration.
You can’t produce high quality content when you’re constantly bombarded with distractions, whether online or offline.
Set up a work area at home or wherever you’ve chosen to work that is free from any type of distractions.
This will allow you to more easily get into the zone of writing and focus on the task at hand.
Here are some quick pointers that can help:
- Turn off your cell phone or smart phone or at least, switch it to silent mode if you’re expecting some calls or messages.
- Do not check your emails and social media feeds. Even if you promise to just take a second to check if a friend already replied to your message or to see if your post has gotten many likes, before you know it, an hour or two have already passed.
- Work using one browser window or screen.
- Set boundaries at home. If you’re working at home, let the people you’re living with that you cannot be disturbed in the next few hours.
Tip # 3 – Set your creative time limit
What does “creative time limit” means?
This is the duration by which your creativity runs freely and smoothly.
After the time limit is over, it becomes a lot harder for your brain to work. It’s like it has reached its threshold and would need a reset before it can work again.
The creative time limit varies per individual. Some only have one or two hours. Some can work freely within half a day.
It ultimately depends on you.
You’ll know your creative time limit when you start writing and you’ll find yourself getting more and more tired until no words are coming out of your brain anymore. You’ll know by then that your brain has reached its creativity threshold.
Now this doesn’t mean that you should completely stop working.
It only means that you need to take a break to freshen up your mind and get it working again.
For example, you can take a 15-minute walk outside your home, listen to music, or even do some household chores.
Do not force yourself to keep on writing when your brain is already too tired because if you do, you won’t be able to produce high quality content. You need to take a short break and return to work when your mind has been reset.
Tip # 4 – Set aside a time every week for task organization
Writing is just one of the many tasks that you need to do when you’re in affiliate marketing.
This makes it imperative that you’re able to organize your tasks so that you don’t neglect or miss out on anything important.
Content production is one of those tasks that take the most of your time so it’s necessary that you are able to allot sufficient hours to get this done.
Creating a calendar and having a planner can definitely help.
It’s also a good idea to have your to-do list right beside you when you work so you can see all the things that need to be done.
You might want to try setting aside a time during the week (just an hour or two) to organize all the tasks that you need to do for the week. Write them down and schedule them per day so that you can already see the work week ahead of you.
Tip # 5 – Start with the most difficult topics
Some experts say that it’s best to start with the most difficult tasks and then move on to the easiest tasks, and then do the mid-difficult tasks last.
When it comes to writing, it would certainly be a smart move to write the most difficult topics first.
When you start writing, that’s the time when your mind is on its freshest state, especially if you start early in the morning or when you’re able to create a distraction-free work area.
The most difficult topics may not be the ones will excite you the most but you know that you have to get these done anyway.
When your mind is still working productively, it’s easier to finish the difficult topics. Imagine writing a difficult topic after you’ve already produced two or three articles beforehand. It would be so much of a struggle that you won’t probably finish the last post.
Tip # 6 – Take a power nap
This tip could have been part of the take-a-break strategy but it’s so important that it deserves a spot of its own.
Power naps are great for refreshing your mind and body. Even if it’s just for 15 or 30 minutes, it can do wonders for someone who’s tired and drained out.
When you’re writing your piece, and you’ve hit your creative limit, consider taking a short nap.
It would be wise to set an alarm because you don’t want to end up sleeping the rest of the day.
Sometimes, it might become difficult to wake up and get back to work. But you’ll find that the jolt of energy is useful after you’ve taken a short but worthwhile rest.
Tip # 7 – Slow your mind before writing
You’re probably wondering how it is possible to slow down one’s mind.
People whose minds are always racing, whose minds never seem to stop working, may find this a bigger challenge.
Here’s how this works.
Before starting writing your post, take a moment to meditate.
Clear your mind and take deep breaths. You can use relaxing music to help you reach a calm state.
Do not check your phone or engage in any activity, especially those that have something to do with gadgets.
Do this for a few minutes before you start working.
You’ll find this very effective especially if you’ve already been drained during the day, or when you don’t have time to take a power nap.
Turn this into a habit and you’ll find yourself producing more and better quality posts for your affiliate blog.
Tip # 8 – Do not let writer’s block get in the way
Some writers will tell you that writer’s block is a myth.
It’s an excuse they’ve conjured so that they can get away with not writing anything.
There is some truth to this.
Writer’s block has many different causes. It can be due to one’s unhealthy lifestyle that prevents the creative juices from flowing. It can be due to the writer’s failure to organize his/her tasks and keep the writing motivation up. Or it can simply be rooted from plain laziness.
If you are working as an affiliate, you need to be consistent in producing content.
Should you experience a writer’s block at any moment that you’re writing, and you let this beat you and prevent you from getting the job done, you’re not going to get far in affiliate marketing.
Your competitors will get ahead of you and before you know it, your business has come crumbling down.
Always keep this in mind, writer’s block is a problem, and just like with any problem, it also has a solution.
If you stop at the problem and don’t do anything about it, it will affect you and your business negatively.
You need to find a way how to overcome your writer’s block either with any of the tips mentioned above or look for a new way to effectively resolve it.
Tip # 9 – Just write and write
So there are times when you feel that you have the energy and motivation to write, but still the words won’t come out.
Why is this?
You can say that it’s writer’s block, but it’s actually just a matter of getting the brain to work effectively again.
Whenever you reach this roadblock, what you can do is to just write about anything. Just get your hands typing or writing.
Write, write and write until the thoughts start flowing in.
It can be random thoughts about anything. It could be totally unrelated to your niche or affiliate products.
The important thing is that you get yourself to start writing.
Once you’re in the zone, that’s the time when you can start writing the post about the specific topic that you should be writing about.
Tip # 10 – Create a writing routine or structure
Many writers have their own writing routines or structures.
Most of them follow this simple process:
- Create a working title
- Organize your thoughts using an outline
- Create headings for each subtopic
- Write the introduction
- Write the content for each of the heading
- Write the conclusion
- Proofread and edit the post
This is a basic work routine that many writers have found useful for their work.
But of course, this depends on you.
For example, you can start writing the introduction first before you can come up with the title or the outline. Or it’s also possible that you would have to finish the entire post first before you can choose a title to use.
The important thing is that you set up a writing routine that will help you complete a post more efficiently.
Tip # 11 – Read every day
You probably know about the saying that you can’t be a writer if you’re not a reader.
The best writers read books a lot.
For an online content producer like yourself, it would certainly be a good idea to make it a habit to read online articles, blog posts, audio books, ebooks and podcasts.
This will not only help improve your writing skills but will also help expand your knowledge about your niche.
The more you know about it, the more you can write about it, and the easier it is for you to accomplish the task of producing content.
Tip # 12 – Use a standing desk
Did you know that some famous writers actually used standing desk for writing their bestsellers? Just one example is Charles Dickens.
This is something that you might want to try if you’re having a hard time getting posts completed. And you can’t seem to make the other tips mentioned here work for you.
A standing desk will not only change your working environment and give you new motivation to write content. It can also do wonders for your posture.
Well, you don’t have to use the standing desk all throughout. You can write sitting down for the first few hours and then use the standing desk the moment you hit your creative limit.
You probably won’t get these tips and strategies from other affiliate experts. But you have to know that in the end, it’s still up to you on how you can make things work so that you are able to produce high quality content that will not only attract your target audience but will also keep them engaged and interested in what you offer long enough to convert into buying customers.