Most affiliates know that social media marketing is important.
But they usually don’t grasp how gravely important it is until they’ve seen what it can do for their business or for others’.
In a survey conducted by Affiliate Summit, it was reported that more than 60 percent of affiliate marketers confirm that social media is the top source of traffic, just falling a little behind organic search.
If you’re a newbie at this type of online business, you might think that social media marketing is simply about generating likes and shares on your page and building followers.
But there’s more to social media than likes and shares. You need to formulate a campaign composed of effective strategies that will not only increase awareness about your business but will also drive traffic to your affiliate site, generate sales and revenue, and build your credibility and expertise in the niche.
Most of the social media sites that you’ll find today work on the same general process.
You need to know, however, that each platform also has its own unique qualities and strategies for helping you promote your content and generate traffic for your affiliate website.
In this article, we will discuss the ways on how you can grow your social media presence on the top social networks preferred by affiliate experts.
As everyone knows, Facebook is the number one social media site in the world. With more than 2 billion active users, it is the largest and most widely used social network in any country.
This means that no matter what niche you belong to, you’ll get to enjoy the maximum exposure and many other benefits that Facebook provides. It’s also ideal for promoting all types of content, whether long form or short form, whether text, image or videos and so on.
So how do you make use of Facebook to grow your social media presence as an affiliate and drive traffic to your affiliate website?
Here are the top ways:
# 1 – Create a Facebook page for your brand
This will serve as your brand’s home page on Facebook. It is where you will post all your content, and connect with your audience. This is also necessary as you cannot run your Facebook ads without a page.
To create your Facebook page, simply click the “create” button in the Facebook’s navigation bar that you can find right beside your profile link.
Choose the type of page. It can either be “business” or “public figure/community”.
Click the “business” option.
Provide a title for your page, preferably the same as the one on your affiliate website.
Enter the location details.
Upload a profile picture.
# 2 – Start a Facebook group composed of people with the same interests
A Facebook group is a good way to build close connections and create engaged communities of people who have the same interests, passion, hobby and likes.
This is another great way to drive plenty traffic to your affiliate site.
To start rousing the interest of people, create a group that focuses on the problems of your target audience. Find out what the members of your target audience are most problematic about and create a Facebook page around those problems.
Let’s say you have an affiliate site promoting weight loss products, you can start a group for people who want to achieve specific weight loss goals.
Instead of naming your group after your brand, you can choose any of the following suggestions:
- Weight Loss Support Group for New Moms
- Weight Loss for Diabetics
- Tips to Achieve Flat Stomach
Once you have the right idea, just click the “create” button in the navigation bar and choose “group”.
Choose the group category and type (either public or private).
Invite some of your friends whom you know will be interested to join the group.
# 3 – Promote valuable content in other groups
Aside from starting your own group, you must also join other relevant groups within your niche and become a valuable active member of the group.
You can do this by commenting on the posts in the group, answering questions, and providing tips and advice to people who need it.
When you see someone who needs help, offer to help right away.
This will show them that you are a valuable member of their online community.
Make sure that you follow all the rules and regulations of the group. Most online communities that focus on helping people out do not allow the posting of ads, especially irrelevant ads.
If you bombard the group with links to your affiliate site, chances are, you’ll get kicked out before you know it.
# 4 – Use Facebook ads
Another practical tactic that you cannot afford to overlook is promoting your content using targeted advertising.
Facebook ad is the most cost-effective advertising and marketing feature of Facebook.
It lets you go beyond what your Facebook page can organically reach so that you can connect with millions of other users on Facebook in every part of the world.
What makes this highly effective is that Facebook ads are displayed in the timeline along with the normal posts.
It looks just like a regular post but just with the label “sponsored” right before the content.
As you know, people have already developed a syndrome called advertising blindness, which makes their eyes automatically avert anything that resembles an ad.
But since the Facebook ad looks natural and unobtrusive, Facebook users are able to consume and digest this content without any problem.
From your part as an affiliate, you’ll definitely appreciate the laser targeting features of Facebook ads. It enables you to select specific demographics and interests of your audience so that your content will be delivered to people who are more likely to be interested and engaged with what you offer.
One of the most outstanding features of Facebook ads is the “look alike audience” setting.
When you make use of this feature, you can find users who are interested in products that are similar to what you offer. This way, you can also reach out to them, and possibly route them to your business website.
Compute your budget for your Facebook ad so you don’t spend beyond what you can afford. The minimum spend is $1 a day, and this already gives you access to hundreds or even thousands of Facebook users.
Twitter is considered a “microblogging” social network where you’ll post quick updates about yourself and your interests.
You’d be amazed to know that up to 23 percent of the total internet users are on Twitter. It’s also one of the most widely used social media sites for online marketing.
Just like with Facebook, the traffic that you’ll be able to generate from Twitter will largely depend on the level of engagement of your audience.
Needless to say, it’d be best to post valuable content and interact with your audience instead of using this social network as a one-way communication medium.
Grow your presence on Twitter and drive traffic to your affiliate website using these techniques:
- Use hashtags – If you’re still not using hashtags just because you don’t want to do what everyone else is doing, then you’re missing out on a lot of opportunities. It’s imperative to make use of relevant hashtags on your Tweets so that people can find your posts more easily.
- Engage in Twitter chats – It’s also a great idea to participate in chat sessions that are relevant to what your affiliate site is offering. Just make sure that you contribute something valuable and practical during these chat sessions. And never bombard your fellow chatters with links or ads.
- Post about trending topics – In Twitter, one of the best ways to attract people’s attention is by tweeting about trending topics.
- Tweet during the best times – For Twitter, the best time to post your content is on Saturdays between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- Use Promoted Tweets – Just like with Facebook, Twitter also has paid ads that you can take advantage of. You can send payment to Twitter so that it will display your content to your set target audience.
When it comes to video sharing platforms, nothing can beat YouTube, at least for now.
YouTube is also the second most widely used search engine that generates over 1.3 billion searches every month.
Many people spend long hours during the day tuning it to their favorite YouTube channels, watching all sorts of YouTube videos.
In fact, YouTube users all over the world spend up to 1 billion hours on this platform each day.
If you’d like to take advantage of what this social network can do for your affiliate business, the first step is to create your own video channel.
After you’ve set this up, you need to create useful, practical and share-worthy videos about topics that your audience needs and wants.
Experts recommend creating videos that are around 2 minutes in length. Since this is a short duration for a video, you need to pack it with lots of practical information.
What you can do is to break down a general topic into smaller topics so that you can create focused videos.
Here are more tips on how you can use this social network to increase your social media presence and at the same time, get more people to visit your affiliate site:
- Learn about the problems, issues, concerns, fears, questions and ambitions of your audience. Create a series of short videos for each topic that you can come up with.
- If you’re not comfortable facing the camera, you don’t have to force yourself to do it. Instead, you can use a screencast tool and post how-to guides and tutorial videos instead. You should also consider the whiteboard animation that is very efficient in keeping audiences interested and engaged.
- Optimize your video for the search engine of YouTube. You can do this by using the autocomplete suggestion so you have an idea on what to name your video file. It’s also important to include the target keyword in the video title and in the video description.
- When writing the more detailed video description, include more relevant keywords.
- Take the time to create a visually captivating thumbnail for your video. Do not use the default thumbnail provided by YouTube. Create one that complements your brand’s identity. There are online tools that you can use to design your thumbnail even if you have no graphic design skills. Some of these are Visme and Canva.
- Embed your videos in the content of your blog. Then, promote your videos and your channel to your email subscribers and social media followers.
- Ask all your viewers to like your videos, comment on your videos and subscribe to your channel. This is important because this will affect your ranking in the YouTube search results page.
- Be as patient as you possibly can. Growing your presence in YouTube does not happen overnight. Many experts say that it takes about six to 12 months of regular uploading and creation of valuable videos before you can see any results.
Instagram now has over 1 billion active users each month.
It has fast become a preferred option by many affiliate marketers and other online business owners.
Facebook owns Instagram, but you have to know that it is quite different in terms of format, content and audience target.
Most of the users of Instagram are women who make use of their accounts to influence their buying decisions both online and offline.
Up to 60 percent of Instagram users are women.
The process of using this social network is basically the same as that of the others.
First, you have to set up your account.
Then, you will need to exert effort to build your following. You can do this by posting visual content that’s high in quality and relevant in topic.
Next, promote your affiliate products that you think will be useful and practical for your Instagram followers.
You should also make use of the Instagram Stories and Highlights.
These are two of the features of this social network that has been proven by many to be effective in driving traffic to their sites.
Stories refer to the temporary status that will appear on the top of the Instagram profile.
What makes this stand out is its strategic placement that immediately catches the attention of your Instagram followers.
It is reported that up to 80 percent of all Instagram users watch Stories each day.
Highlights, meanwhile, enable you to group your various Instagram stories so you can place these permanently on your social profile.
The success of your Highlights will depend mostly on the image quality and topic relevance.
Make sure that you only publish visuals with excellent quality.
Like Instagram, Pinterest is also a visual social media site.
It’s also one of the most popular with a user base that amounts to 250 million each month.
In the United States, there are now 75 million active users of Pinterest, most of which are women.
Since more than half of its users visit this social network to look for products to buy, you should definitely make include this in your social media marketing campaign for your affiliate business.
Below, you’ll find some quick tips on how to use Pinterest effectively:
- Set up a Pinterest Business Account – This is the preferred option of affiliate marketers simply because it has the added feature of Rich Pins and Pinterest Analytics. These two are necessary if you are using this social network for an online business. Rich Pins in particular have been found highly effective in boosting the click through rates (CTR) of your pins.
- Use only high quality images – Since Pinterest is a visual platform, your success will depend primarily on the quality of the images that you will post. The higher the quality of your images, the easier it is for you to engage your audience. Consider using an online tool such as the Design Wizard.
- Optimize your pins for the search suggestions – Pinterest has a search suggestion feature on its search engine. People use the search engine to look for products, ideas, themes and so on. It’s important that you include keywords in your Pins so that people can find your products more easily. The search suggestion will tell you what people are typing to find products related to yours and you can use these as keywords in your pins.
- Join group boards – In Pinterest, you’ll find group boards, which are collective boards where members can pin their images to be visible to all members of the group. Look for group boards that are relevant to your products and become a member of these. Don’t get started without first reading the rules and regulations for pinning images.
Growing your presence in the social media is crucial for any affiliate marketer.
Whether you’re new at this, or you’ve been doing this for quite some time now, you should definitely take advantage of every wonderful benefit that social media can provide to your business.
Do not let yourself get left behind. Make use of the top tactics and strategies mentioned in this article.